In October 2023, the Apulian cellar San Giorgio part of the Tinazzi group achieved a very important objective, i.e. the Vegan certification of its products, part of a sustainability journey initiated a few years ago in both the Apulian facility and the parent company in Verona.
The certification protocol was assessed by ICEA which in the past few days issued the Cellar with the official document.
The following wines hold the certification:
- PRIMITIVO IGP SALENTO, IGP PUGLIA and IGP PUGLIA PASSITO
- ROSSO IGP PUGLIA, PUGLIA PASSITO and PUGLIA LEGGERO APPASSIMENTO
- MALVASIA NERA IGP SALENTO
- NEGROAMARO IGP SALENTO
- PRIMITIVO DI MANDURIA DOP
- NEGROAMARO ROSATO IGP SALENTO
- ROSATO DEL SALENTO IGP
- AGLIANICO IGP PUGLIA
“Our Cellar has been committed to the constant search for healthiness of both its grapes and wines produced for many years,” explains Oenologist Giuseppe Gallo. “In addition to vegan wine, in 2020 we also obtained the organic certification and in 2021 we became certified according to the Equalitas standard by CSQA.”
But what does “Vegan” mean?
The certification specification for vegan products was developed by ICEA in collaboration with LAV Lega Anti Vivisezione, which has always promoted an information campaign for the consumption of fully-vegetable products.
Vegan products do not contain any by-product of animal origin.
It is not always common knowledge that bread may contain lard, the rennet used to make cheese is mainly obtained from veal abomasum (a part of the stomach) and that products of animal origin such as casein, albumin and animal gelatin are used to make wine.
The vegan certification can be obtained by both organic and traditional products.
VEGAN ICEA certified products guarantee:
- compliance with the product and process requirements set out by the specification;
- truthful and verified labels that reassure consumers who prefer a vegan diet;
- absence of animal ingredients and/or by-products for those products that do not require their indication on the label (such as processing aids).
“We are very proud of the Vegan certification obtained by Cantine San Giorgio. – adds the CEO of the Cellar, Francesca Tinazzi – It is an additional step in the important sustainability journey started a few years ago by Gruppo Tinazzi, i.e. that Tinazzi R-evolution that has become for all of us, both in the Veneto and Puglia, a mantra, a commitment, a constant objective.”